Evolution of beauty, Evolution of behavior, Evolution of belief, Evolution of enthusiasm, Evolution of friendliness, Evolution of goals, Evolution of happiness, Evolution of helpfulness, Evolution of ideas, Evolution of liberty, Evolution of life, Evolution of opportunity, Evolution of policy, Evolution of trust
It is necessary to change the following list of aspirations because it has changed so much from the stated UU goals that it no longer aligns well with their present world views. Not that it is contradictory in any way, it’s just that I believe that it isn’t fair to them for me to be making proclamations about what I think they believe or projecting what I believe onto what I think that they should believe. That’s prolix and the whole statement of this belief is intended to be brief.
Today I read version #15 to a small group of writers in search of some criticism. They listened carefully and we discussed #6 at length, and we as a group thought #6—making a habit of doing kind things that help us love one another and our Universe. would be better stated as 6—making a habit of clearly acknowledging other people and their needs to love one another and our Universe.
We find hope and give kindness by:
- —discovering the orderly nature of our Universe, so we can help ourselves and others benefit from all that is possible.
- —creating an ideally balanced human society, so you and I and everyone else can have a meaningful life in a sustainable world.
- —dedicating our wisdom to the great tradition of alleviating the suffering of all living beings.
- —helping one another use our abilities for our own and others’ well-being.
- —appreciating that we as a fellowship of people expressing diverse views are discovering wonderful new ways of living.
- —making a habit of clearly acknowledging other people and their need to love one another and our Universe.