Abraham Maslow published a theory of human development. It’s a theory of psychological health predicated on fulfilling innate human needs in priority, culminating in self-actualization. Here below is a clip from the Wikipedia article showing the qualities of humans who have reached what he believes a fully developed human being possesses.
“According to Maslow, self-actualizing people share the following qualities:
- Truth: honest, reality, beauty, pure, clean and unadulterated completeness
- Goodness: rightness, desirability, uprightness, benevolence, honesty
- Beauty: rightness, form, aliveness, simplicity, richness, wholeness, perfection, completion,
- Wholeness: unity, integration, the tendency to oneness, interconnectedness, simplicity, organization, structure, order, not dissociated, synergy
- Dichotomy: transcendence, acceptance, resolution, integration, polarities, opposites, contradictions
- Aliveness: process, not-deadness, spontaneity, self-regulation, full-functioning
- Uniqueness: idiosyncrasy, individuality, non-comparability, novelty
- Perfection: nothing superfluous, nothing lacking, everything in its right place, just-rightness, suitability, justice
- Necessity: inevitability: it must be just that way, not changed in any slightest way
- Completion: ending, justice, fulfillment
- Justice: fairness, suitability, disinterestedness, non-partiality,
- Order: lawfulness, rightness, perfectly arranged
- Simplicity: nakedness, abstract, essential skeletal, bluntness
- Richness: differentiation, complexity, intricacy, totality
- Effortlessness: ease; lack of strain, striving, or difficulty
- Playfulness: fun, joy, amusement
- Self-sufficiency: autonomy, independence, self-determining”
In a previous post, I made a list of our Universe’s many emergent steps. Now it is our turn and responsibility to add yet another step in our Universe’s progress to its self-actualization. By us I mean our whole human civilization, which now has the capability of creating a thinking mind for the Universe. It is a mind that could grow in size and power to include most of the visible Universe. The limit being the speed of light of our projected information catching up with the most distant galaxies which are speeding away at an increasing rate.
Over a long period of time, all the silicon on the surface of the Earth could be converted into silicon computer chips of various categories. Obviously, that would take time, but the chips have very long life expectancies if they are stored in ideal conditions. And even if they do fail, the information contained within them could be stored multiple times and thus could be perfectly preserved. Other methods of computer-accessible storage are also available.
Within our Milky Way galaxy, it would be possible to move physical chip-based sentient life forms and eventually convert all the planets into thinking-feeling beings. With that kind of chip-based civilization, the galaxy would become a thoughtful being. If our galaxy with a hundred billion star systems is capable of creating this system once, then it is likely that the other galaxies could do so also.
It appears to be impossible for a chip-based computer life form to arise through natural selection processes, but it is possible for organic beings to arise, as we have done, and to create civilizations capable of generating the chip-based civilizations, as we are capable of doing. We humans can live for a hundred years, but a chip-based life form might live for hundreds of billions of years. It could live and adapt to new environments until the Universe exhausts all of its energy. Maslow’s list of a self-actualized beings qualities can be the goal for our Universe.
The Universe has been kind to us by creating everything that is needed for us to live, and we can show our gratitude by doing the same for the Universe.