, ,

My life was progressing quite well this morning. My dermatologist had taken a pea-size chunk out of the back side of my right ear ten days ago and today he confirmed that the MOS procedure had gotten everything. The ear was healing well with the recommended procedure of covering the wound with Vaseline and a bandage after a daily shower. He spent a few seconds freezing an irregular bean size patch of slightly reddish skin off my forehead so no problem there.

The drive through Bend from the doctor’s office to the Looney Bean coffee shop had noticeably more traffic than when I moved here six years ago, so it took me ninety-two seconds of extra waiting to get through the traffic. I count seconds of delay when driving around town so I can calculate the best routes. I have worked out routes from home to downtown that, about half the time, have less than ten seconds delay. I usually go to the official parking structure where there are three hours of free parking and only a block or three to where I want to go.

Today it was the Looney Bean, where I regularly meet some old dudes, most of whom are successfully retired and comfortable with their lives. For several months now I have been bringing in my mock-ups of my booklet, now titled Love Our Life, and when there is any lull in the fascinating conversation I bring it out. We have lively discussions of the whole thing because each of them has decades of professional experience in some aspect of the project. All of that is super helpful to making this an effective presentation. The plan isn’t to make this a best seller. It’s not a commercial thing because none of us are greatly in need of money. This is a kind-hearted attempt to help alleviate the ills of the world. Thus we are not aiming for a best seller book, but a book that will reach billions of people. We aim for that massive audience because it is obvious to us that most people are having trouble coping with our modern realities.

I was hurrying to this “event” when a guy was hosing down the sidewalk I was about to step over. Nothing special about that event, as he moved the streaming water, but I was walking fast and snagged my right foot on the edge of the curb. A quarter of an inch error and I was suddenly flying across the world in an absolutely automatic aerial gyration to retain my feet on the ground and no other body parts. I was astonished at my success and continued my walk. Then suddenly there was a sharp pain in the back of my right calf. I took the few more steps into the Looney Bean thinking I had gotten a cramp because of my extreme and unusual muscular efforts.

I got my coffee and walked the few more steps over to where J was sitting. I mentioned the event but didn’t dwell on it. We had a fine conversation. However, an hour later the cramp hadn’t gone away, as the stretching and massage that usually cures those kinds of pains hadn’t worked. Another hour and it was time to head home and the pain persisted and was worse. I thought about the problem and realized that it wasn’t a cramp. I had kicked the back of my right calf with my left shoe as I flung that left leg forward to catch myself.

Here I sit thirteen hours later having had to do some normal walking but in considerable pain from the bruised calf. I can only walk by keeping all of my weight off of the ball of my right foot and thus I can walk at half normal walking speed by putting all my weight on my right heel and not letting my toes come anywhere near the ground. It is possible to walk that way if I turn my body about halfway to the right and walk sideways like a crab. Later I walked three blocks through downtown over to Dudley’s bookstore for a meeting, and back, like a crab. No doubt to the entertainment of the many tourists eating outside in the warm evening air.

Most people in Bend limp from skiing, biking, rafting, fishing, etc. My friends enjoyed the story of my stupid antics.