The Probaway Person of the Year is Albert Einstein who one hundred years ago predicted black holes, the collision of black holes and those collisions forming gravity waves in the time-space continuum and he laid the groundwork for lasers which were used for detecting the gravity waves last year. He died in sixty-two years ago but the search for gravity waves was conducted because of his prediction based on his General Theory of Relativity.
The LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) instruments using advanced laser measuring tools detected the gravity waves created by the collision of two 30 solar mass black hole objects. Einstein predicted and did the math for 1. Black holes, 2. Black hole collisions, 3. Gravity waves, and 4. Lasers.
Predicted in 1916 by Albert Einstein on the basis of his theory of general relativity, gravitational waves transport energy as gravitational radiation, a form of radiant energy similar to electromagnetic radiation.
On 11 February 2016, the LIGO collaboration announced the first observation of gravitational waves; because these waves were generated from a black hole merger it was the first ever direct detection of a binary black hole merger.
Note that Einstein did all of those things essential to the discovery of gravitational waves one hundred years ago in 1916, but it took that many years to develop the technology necessary to prove his gravity wave theory. We must thank the thousands of people who worked on the LIGO project, and the millions of people that were responsible for creating the background technology that was necessary for these scientists to do their work, and the billions of people who through their purchasing of modern products supplied the money and the inputs to do those extraordinary things. This is ongoing research that is providing a new form of a telescope to observe the workings of our universe. Strange things are being discovered that are putting us into our place and time in the Universe. Albert Einstein – A Genius Amongst Men is a documentary video of Einstein’s life.
The complete up-to-present list of – Probaway Person of the Year:
- 2017 – Albert Einstein for predicting black holes, their collisions creating gravity waves, and the laser for observing the gravity waves.
- 2016 – Xi Jinping for taking China from a backward economy to the most powerful one on Earth.
- 2015 – Peter Higgs and Alan Guth created theories that lead to proofs this year of mass and gravity sources.
- 2014 – Jennifer Doudna created a method for insertion of designed DNA precisely into existing DNA.
- 2013 – Plague Inc. is a computer game that explores the problems of creating a disease that will kill every last human being on Earth.
- 2012 – Zebrafish research-technique advances made it possible to observe drug interactions within living animals.
- 2011 – Craig Venter laid the groundwork for creating entirely new forms of life (greater than species) out of computer-generated DNA sequences.
- 2010 – Nadya Suleman (Octomom) and the society that created this travesty of good sense will be remembered into the distant future by many hungry people.
- 2009 – Jimmy Wales for Wikipedia, which will be still be used after our current computer operating systems are surpassed and forgotten.
- 2008 – Cesar Millan (the dog whisperer) because he shows people how to relate to dogs and people much better than anyone else. His videos and techniques will be remembered and used as long as there are people and dogs.
These may seem like strange choices but they are potentially long-term-memorable events which had a major tipping point the year before their selection.