The Probaway Person of the Year is an attempt to identify people whose year was so outstanding that it will be remembered 500 years in the future. TIME magazine’s person of the year has other criteria. It appears to be maximum public exposure in the media. That makes any major country’s top politicians automatic candidates for TIME’s top spot but their choices are transient. The first person to walk on the Moon will be remembered but the people who sent him there will not be. Thus Neil Armstrong’s place in history is assured but President Kennedy’s is not. In 500 years many of heads of state will have been assassinated but only one person will be first to step on the Moon. There may be others or there may not but Armstrong will remain the first.
Nadya Suleman (the Octomom) may be remembered in 500 years because by that time there will have been repeated population collapses caused by overpopulation. At that time, if civilization is still thriving, there will probably be mandatory population limits, legally imposed, limiting individual women who are healthy to two children and unhealthy women to adopting children if they want them. Occasionally there will be some exceptions where there will be issued a permit for a third child. This will be a worldwide policy because any person or group who breeds more children is depriving the other people of the world their right to sufficient food and to raise a family of their own.
The population law will be enforced because any free breeding population will eventually expand to the carrying capacity of their environment and then attempt to expand into every other possible niche. That is the situation at present 2010 CE where there is a population of 6.8 billion and growing fast. The current living population will soon totally consume some of the Earth’s one time use minerals and the population will have been reduced by some calamity to a smaller but sustainable number before 2500 CE. After the collapse and partial recovery people will realize that to prevent another catastrophe they must limit the total population to some sustainable number.
The stable human population will probably be much smaller than the current number. If the current carbon footprint of a primitive agricultural farmer is taken as the standard then a high-tech population would be very approximately 100 million. After a librating balance is attained this number may be much larger or possibly smaller; only experience will find an ideal number and this number will be decided upon by those future people. At that time of balance they will still remember the Octomom because she will be a symbol of what went wrong with the 20th century and why the Doomsday disasters were so devastating. Even at present when the world is still in a fully functioning condition the unmarried Octomom’s 14 welfare dependent children will probably mean that before those children’s lives are done they will have eaten the food that would have saved the lives of a hundred 3rd world children.
Picture source is Fanpop
This is what overpopulation means for some children. Why did the mother of this child not provide for it once she had brought it into the world? And if she couldn’t provide for it why did she have it? Why did Suleman who already had six children have eight more via artificial implantation of eggs? Her and her doctor’s appallingly bad judgment isn’t compensated for by hundreds of reasonable people behaving responsibly and acceptance and support of this wretched act will soon lead to overpopulation and scenes like the starving child.
We can prepare for a better future by showing people the connections provided in these two pictures because any thoughtful person can see that these were preventable tragedies. There must be enforceable laws that provide for more food in the world than there are people to eat the food. There is an ultimate limit to how much food the Earth can provide and therefore the human population must be controlled to be below that limit. If humans are unwilling to limit women to two children each then the above scene is the inevitable result. Nature will take over but we will find that solution very painful, but if we don’t choose to take responsibility for our own behavior we must accept nature’s merciless carnage.
The complete up-to-present list of – Probaway Person of the Year:
- 2017 – Albert Einstein for predicting black holes, their collisions creating gravity waves, and the laser for observing the gravity waves.
- 2016 – Xi Jinping for taking China from a backward economy to the most powerful one on Earth.
- 2015 – Peter Higgs and Alan Guth created theories that lead to proofs this year of mass and gravity sources.
- 2014 – Jennifer Doudna created a method for insertion of designed DNA precisely into existing DNA.
- 2013 – Plague Inc. is a computer game that explores the problems of creating a disease that will kill every last human being on Earth.
- 2012 – Zebrafish research-technique advances made it possible to observe drug interactions within living animals.
- 2011 – Craig Venter laid the groundwork for creating entirely new forms of life (greater than species) out of computer-generated DNA sequences.
- 2010 – Nadya Suleman (Octomom) and the society that created this travesty of good sense will be remembered into the distant future by many hungry people.
- 2009 – Jimmy Wales for Wikipedia, which will be still be used after our current computer operating systems are surpassed and forgotten.
- 2008 – Cesar Millan (the dog whisperer) because he shows people how to relate to dogs and people much better than anyone else. His videos and techniques will be remembered and used as long as there are people and dogs.
These may seem like strange choices but they are potentially long-term-memorable events which had a major tipping point the year before their selection.